Zucchini is a delicious summer vegetable that contains Vitamin C and folate (1,2). Zucchini has modest amounts of minerals that the body needs, including calcium, potassium, copper, magnesium, and phosphorus (1,2). These nutrients are involved in many body processes that help support skin, heart, lung, and eye health. As an added bonus, zucchini is naturally low calorie and sodium free, fat free, and cholesterol free. The fiber in zucchini will help to keep you feeling full and satisfied longer. Zucchini is a versatile ingredient and can be used in pastas, casseroles, omelets, salads, coleslaws, breads, baked goods, and so much more!
Shopping and Storage Tips
- Choose zucchini that are under 8 inches in length to avoid a fibrous texture and large seeds.
- Choose firm zucchini that are free of bruises or cuts, with at least one inch of stem attached.
- Zucchini can be stored in a plastic bag in your refrigerator’s vegetable crisper for 4-5 days.
- US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Nutrient Data Laboratory. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Revised May 2016. Website: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/
- US Department of Agriculture, SuperTracker. Website: https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx