2020 Education Internships
Education is a major emphasis of programming at The Farm at St. Joe’s. During the school year, The Farm hosts nearly 1,000 students from Ypsilanti Community Schools for field trips. Over the summer, education is primarily delivered through summer camps. Campers have the opportunity to explore food from seed to stomach, while learning about botany, human health, and environmental stewardship. Interns will be trained to step up and run our Farm to Table and Farm, Field & Forest Camps, a great opportunity to strengthen skills delivering programs to youth and families.
This summer we will run the first camps for the hospital’s two-year Nutrition Buddies pilot program, which incorporates culinary medicine, community education and mentorship. It will be a rich and vibrant summer full of educational opportunities and experiences from which to learn from and grow as an educator!
Roles and responsibilities
- Staff and run summer camps, including delivery of inquiry-based education lessons and camper mentorship
- Create new lessons and activities for summer camps and field trips
- Develop, implement, and improve evaluation tools to assess the impact of education programs
- Maintain clear and open communication with The Farm staff and volunteers
- Actively participate in broader Farm programming, including sustainable vegetable production and community events
Flexible start date, May preferred
Flexible end date, through August preferred
8 hrs/day (Monday -Thursday) – flexible hours before and after Summer Camp sessions
7.5 hrs/day (Monday – Friday) during Summer Camp sessions
How to Apply
Applications should include the following and should be submitted as a single PDF :
- Cover letter, which includes start date availability and addresses the following questions: What are your professional goals? How will this internship prepare you for your professional goals? What unique perspective will you bring to The Farm at St. Joe’s community?
Please note that interns must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and must receive credit for their participation (i.e., this internship should count toward the intern’s degree).
If interested, please send your application to:
Laura Meisler, Education Coordinator, email@example.com
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so submit your application today!