Hospital Staff Community Garden
Grow Your Own Food at The Farm at St. Joe’s
Have you always wanted to try your hand at growing a vegetable garden? Are you looking for a place close to work with comradery and advice about how to start gardening? Or, maybe you’re an expert gardener, but your yard is too shady? Then join with fellow St. Joseph Mercy Hospital Ann Arbor staff and retirees at the Staff Community Garden at The Farm at St. Joe’s!
St. Joseph Mercy Hospital Ann Arbor staff and retirees will be able to sign-up for a garden plot on a first come, first served basis this spring.
For a fee to cover the use of the plot for the summer, SJMHS staff gardeners will get a composted, tilled plot in a communal, fenced-in area with sustainable paths and access to water. There is a workday to add the compost– see below. The garden is located outside, near the hoop houses at The Farm at St. Joe’s.
Details for 2020:
Standard plot: 10′ x 10′ or 10′ x 9′ The cost is $15 plus a refundable deposit of $15 (total $30).
Medium plot: 10′ x 12′ The cost is $20 plus a refundable deposit of $25 (total $45).
Large plot: 10′ x 15′ The cost is $25 plus a refundable deposit of $35 (total $60). We ask that experienced gardeners or groups of people who are committed to maintaining their plot sign-up for this size.
Signing up for 2020: You may sign-up as an individual or as a group. However, when registering we ask that one person registers and pays for the plot.
- There are a limited number of plots.
- One plot per person.
- Note: Gardeners must be staff or retirees who work(ed) at Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor at the time of signing-up.
- Refunds of the deposit will be provided to gardeners that clean-out their plot in the Fall.
- First come, first served: Registration will open in the spring
- Contact the Garden Coordinator: Rozelle Copeland Rozelle.Copeland@stjoeshealth.org for questions
Deposit: Checks for the deposit should be made out to “St. Joseph Mercy Hospital”.
The deposit and a signed Employee Community Garden Contract (see below) will be collected at 1) orientation for gardeners new to the Staff Community Garden or 2) by the Garden Coordinator, for those who are returning to the Garden.
Orientation to the Staff Garden (required for gardeners new to the Farm):
- After you sign-up for a garden plot, information will be sent to you regarding the orientation.
- Orientation will last 20 min and includes a tour of the Farm, a review of the governing rules, and a chance to meet Liz and Rozelle.
- Bring a deposit to orientation.
- Location of Community Garden Orientation The Farm at St. Joe’s 5557 McAuley Dr., Ypsilanti, MI
Opening: This depends on the weather and our ability to prep the soil.
- Dates typically range from the last week of April to mid-May.
Closing: Gardens must be cleaned up by Nov 15th.
Here is the Employee Community Garden Contract for 2020:
For more information or if you have questions please contact the Community Garden Coordinator: Rozelle Copeland (Rozelle.Copeland@stjoeshealth.org)
Brighton Residency Garden