Check out this hearty, spring salad made specially for this week’s farm share by Megan, the owner of Macon Creek Malt. The wheat berries are from her!
Fun Fact: people confuse me and Megan all of the time. Can you tell who is who?
- 1 C whole wheat berries
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2-3 T (white) balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 C olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 C thinly sliced radishes
- 2 C chopped spinach
- 1 C pea shoots
- Pumpkin seeds (pepitas); walnuts etc
- dried cranberries, cherries, raisins etc
- feta, soft cheeses
Prepare Wheat Berries
- Soak 1 Cup of whole wheat berries in 3 cups water in fridge overnight. Drain.
- Cook soaked wheat berries in 3 fresh cups water and 1 tsp salt for 35-40 minutes. Bring water to boil, then lower temperature to simmer.
- Drain and cool
- Combine 1 tsp salt, 1.2 tsp pepper, garlic, red onion, lemon juice, a balsamic vinegar. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Add olive oil, whisk together
- Combine spinach, radishes, pea shoots and other toppings as desired.
- Toss wheat berries, dressing and salad.