By Nicole Link
There are several benefits to shopping for produce at your local farmer’s market: freshly picked, organic produce, access to a plethora of nutritious, vitamin-rich fruits and vegetables, and the opportunity to support your local farmers. The issue, however, lies with what to do with your colorful purchases once you return home from the market.
Below are two delicious salsa recipes that utilize many of the current seasonal products being grown at The Farm and sold at the St. Joe’s Farmers Market.
1. FRESH TOMATO SALSA
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh jalapeno pepper (including seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well incorporated. Serve.
2. SALSA FRESCA
- 2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes (6-7 medium tomatoes)
- 6 cloves fresh chopped garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 an onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Refrigerate overnight for maximum flavor
Go Beyond Chips and Salsa…
1. Add salsa to scrambled eggs or egg whites at breakfast.
2. Enjoy salsa with low-fat cottage cheese and ¼ an avocado for a delicious snack.
3. Microwave a small baked potato and top with reduced-fat cheddar cheese and salsa.
4. Make a delicious spinach salad with salsa, rinsed black beans, corn, and chopped red peppers.
5. Mix salsa with Greek yogurt to use as a dip for carrot and zucchini sticks.